Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Holy Week

Daddy's girls after making daddy's homemade noodle recipe
Daddy's girl-learning how to make Daddy's homemade noodle recipe

I would like to comment on Holy Week. In our Family we had toast each Friday as a family fast for lent. The toast was not limited and the children could put whatever they wanted on their toast but our supper consisted of toast. For holy Week we are trying to eat simply and eat until we are satisfied but not full or stuffed.

This has meaning considering that my husband is a great cook. He does the cooking in our house. Since his early retirement we eat quite well thank you. (He also hunts for our food-another topic for another time) Mealtime always consists of meat, vegetables, potatoes, and appetizers. Plus he is quite creative so the food is tasty. Not only does he cook he also serves the children who receive full plates of food- in short they eat very well but not gluttons. Back to the toast- the idea is not new in our family but it had been forgotten and put aside for many years. When our older children were younger we had toast Fridays during lent-this was in the days when mom cooked supper-so I loved lent Fridays. Lol

This year we reinstated toast Friday for lent with the younger children. It has been such a great family fast for lent. The exception was The Feast of St. Joseph. (Very important Saint in our home- another story for another time) I went to Safeway and purchased a big beautiful $25.00 cake marked down to $5:00- they kindly wrote with St. Joseph with icing . I purchased special food-strawberries- chicken wings-luncheon meats ,special buns-and so forth-which the children loved and profusely thanked dad for , with their mouths full of food.( It did not occur to them that mom had anything to do with the supper, considering I don’t cook.) This was truly a feast because it was Friday- a solemnity -considering we had been eating toast on Fridays for three weeks. Interesting side note- the initial reaction from the children that we could break our fast was disappointment. There is something about occasionally denying ourselves that brings satisfaction even for children.

If anyone happens to read this please shares your family devotions for lent-I would love to hear them.


3 comments:

  1. My oldest daughter just informed me -upon learning that I am now a blogger- and the name of my blog-"your not old your 47" to which I replied yes but I am 47 and I have a baby. lol

    I did not give birth to our beautiful boy -another beautiful woman who chose life did that- but he keeps me young in mind -I truly forget that I am 47. I cannot imagine life without his smile-his babbling- or his quivering lip when he is told no.

    It dawned on me today when he was chatting away with me convinced he was carrying on a superb conversation- how many women at 47 get to enjoy this everyday.I know I know many would not consider it enjoyment but I do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're an awesome role model Theresa,
    I am happy I know you. Thank-you for being pro-life in many ways. It affects us all.
    Love, MD

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Maureane. I hope one day to be read you writing about becoming an older mom to a child waiting just for you. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Followers