Sunday, April 18, 2010

A Witness to Christ and to God's people.

I received the following email from Father Gerry responding to a prayer request for seminarians preparing for ordination. Father Gerry is joining us in prayer and has some prayer requests for us. His email his posted here absent the first portion which contains a personal greeting.

Father Gerry was one of my instructors during my quest to earn a Bachelor of Theology. He embodies the suffering servant. He is an active instructor for Newman College and an active priest - serving the church- while at the same time he has been battling a very serious cancer. Father Gerry is an exceptional witness to all of us .

Dear Terri,

... And in that same Spirit I want to extend your call to encompass all the priests of the Montreal Archdiocese to whom Cardinal Archbishop Turcotte renders thanks and praise in a Letter to be read next Sunday in all places of worship. They need this positive life to continue their challenging ministry in the face of much indifference and resistance. I myself do my best to share in weekend ministry since I have returned to Montreal. And finally in this special weekend April 16 - 19, following the Gospel of Jesus confirming Peter as the universal shepherd (Jn 21, 1-19), I invite all your readers and pray-ers to include the Holy Father Benedict XVI in their prayers for embattled priests. His 83rd birthday was this past April 16 and his 5th Anniversary of election will be celebrated this Monday April 19. Though he continues to age in his service to Christ and Church and is led to lay down his complete life, let us pray that the Lord be ever with him so that he may be a witness to Christ and to God's people. And may you continue to be a joyful living witness to all the members of your large family. I need your example and it motivates me to carry on with hope for the future in Christ,

God Bless and Thanks,
Fr Gerry +

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers