Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Time Passing- Children Growing

Today I drove past a school where my second eldest competed in high school basketball games. The memory took me back to a time when my older children were younger- early and late teens. I muse with a tinge of sadness how quickly the time has passed.

I distinctly recall consoling myself when our oldest went to high school for the first day- I counted the years she had left until graduating and assured myself that the three years I still had with her was a long time. She is now graduated university and married. And the basketball player who I drove to that school far from home to play a basketball game-she too recently graduated from university and purchased her first home.

Where does this musing leave me in my thoughts? It reminds me that I am still a mother albeit an ‘older’ mom with toddlers, elementary, junior high, and high school children. It leaves me grateful and aware. I know the time is not forever; in fact it will pass rather quickly. I know our son who is in grade ten—the same as his oldest sister all those years ago— has a very short time left at home. So I try to savour the moments. I am harder on myself when I have moments of impatience or silly anger because I know the time with them will not last forever. Soon they will grow and leave home and start their lives independent from me their mother.

Why then did I rush the older ones to accomplish everything so quickly?

I frequently tell my oldest that she was my guinea pig-most mistakes I made I made with her. She is a beautiful, talented young woman-the same as her sister and brother-the three adult children. Yet I regret that I was in such a hurry for them to take their first steps- to say their first words –to print their first letter or to read their first word. These were milestones I was anxious for them to cross....but not so with the younger children now.

I am older and far more patient. I cuddle with them- I overlook the little mistakes –I apologize quicker when I lose my temper. I play with my little ones. I watch my little boy in his crib lift his arms high in the air- yes he could/should say “up”...but I know the word will come. For now I enjoy the arms in the air because all too soon he will be waving goodbye when he ventures off into the adult world.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Theresa

    I wondered where you had gone. I found you by your post on SoCon. I use to read your posts on FD. I don't post there anymore either. I think many of the posters there have a bit of a mean streak and I was picking up that bad habit. I guess it was a self defense thing.

    I just started reading your blog. It's cute, I like reading about your not-so-little family.

    I hope you'll start sharing some of the things you have learned in your theology course. I wish I could manage going back to school like you but I can only manage some Scott Hahn online courses.

    Good luck with you blog. I wish you every success.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Susan...welcome to my humble little abode:-) I am trying to figure out who you are by your FD name?

    Are you related to a potato? Another friend who reads my blog thinks you might be- but I am not so sure.

    I was thinking about sharing some theology but I am not too smart yet- a person needs a Masters for that.Today I thought I would share a question and answer I am writing -it should be finished in a few days. I guess your comment pretty much confirms my thought.

    As for blogging, I thought about blogging for a while. The thought kept nagging at me but I could not figure out what I would blog about. One night, not so long ago I just impulsively started my blog.

    Thanks for finding me and writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those little arms reached high up into the air and the inquisitive brown eyes penetrated mine. The mouth spoke clearly for the first time -not once but twice...."mom mom".

    Oh what joy fills my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What wonderful moments! I miss the little ones the most. I need another grandbaby!

    ReplyDelete

Followers